Are you trying to determine whether to buy a down or synthetic sleeping bag? Here are some qualities, pros and cons of both for your review to hopefully help you decide!
Down - Natural
- Generally performs better in dry locations. When feathers get wet, they clump and lose their ability to insulate more than synthetic fibers.
- Provides a higher warmth-to-weight ratio. Weighs less and packs smaller than synthetic bags of equivalent warmth
- Longevity of down maintains its loft better after repeated packing and unpacking
- More expensive and not as insulative when compressed
Synthetic - Blend of polyester synthetic fibers
- Performs better in wet environments
- Still insulates and retains heat even if it gets wet
- Dries much faster than down
- More affordable than down
- Recommended for wet climates or inexperienced users less adept at keeping their sleeping bag dry
- Offers better insulation than down when wet
- Better price points than down
- Usually heavier - weight of insulation directly related to warmth
- Larger pack size than down bags
Hopefully you'll find the perfect one to suit your adventures!